L.A. County White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
Harv Anand is one of L.A. County’s most formidable white collar criminal defense lawyers and litigators. His achievements and experience have resulted in Mr. Anand being named a Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorney and Top 100 Trial Lawyer. As a former federal prosecutor who is skilled at all phases of litigation, Mr. Anand can handle any case from investigation through trial and appeal. Mr. Anand has extensive experience working on complex and hard-fought litigations, consistently achieving positive results for clients. Over the course of a decade, Mr. Anand served as a prosecutor in Los Angeles and New York City. In the Major Frauds section of the United States Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles, Mr. Anand investigated and prosecuted all stages of complex and large-scale white collar crimes, including bank fraud and mortgage fraud; securities fraud; mail and wire fraud; tax evasion; Ponzi schemes; embezzlement; conspiracy; money laundering; and identity theft. In private practice, Mr. Anand uses his experience and knowledge to passionately advocate for clients and to protect their rights. Mr. Anand has broad experience in both criminal and civil matters. In the criminal arena, Mr. Anand has successfully represented individuals and entities in federal and state criminal investigations and prosecutions. For example, Mr. Anand worked on a team that obtained acquittal after trial of all federal criminal charges against a bank executive. In another case, Mr. Anand obtained dismissal of an elder abuse charge against a nursing home owner. On the civil side, Mr. Anand also has successfully represented clients in a variety of cases, including one in which a victim of complex fraud recovered $26 million through settlement. Mr. Anand also is a former Certified Public Accountant. He is particularly skilled in using his combined legal and accounting knowledge in cases that involve financial issues, including financial and accounting frauds, tax evasion, Ponzi schemes, and embezzlement matters.
Representative Matters, Awards and Recognitions
- Represented bank executive who was acquitted of all federal criminal charges.
- Obtained dismissal of elder abuse charge against nursing home owner.
- Conducted internal investigation of use-of-force allegations for large governmental entity and recommended numerous improvements in existing policies and procedures and adoption of additional controls.
- Successfully represented client in internal investigation involving allegations of extortion by public official.
- Conducted other internal investigations for entities and recommended enhanced control policies and procedures.
- Recovered $26 million settlement for plaintiff in a complex fraud case.
- Obtained summary judgment for $13 million in complicated fraud case.
- Obtained full dismissal of matter on standing and mootness grounds.
- Obtained very favorable settlement in multi-year property dispute for non-profit client.
- Obtained very favorable settlement for client charged with violation of California Business & Professions Code § 17200.
- Persuaded federal and state agencies not to file discrimination complaints against clients.
Awards and Recognitions
- Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorney, by the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer, by The National Trial Lawyers
- Client’s Choice Award, 2017, by AVVO
- Who’s Who Top Attorneys of North America
- As a federal prosecutor:
- Director of Federal Bureau of Investigation, for Prosecutorial Efforts in United States v. Karatz
- U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement, for Prosecutorial Efforts in United States v. Hunter
- U.S. Postal Service, Office of Inspector General, for Prosecutorial Efforts in Various Matters